Hollywoodland (Images of America Series)
Established by real estate developers Tracy E. Shoults and S. H. Woodruff in 1923, Hollywoodland was one of the first hillside developments built in Hollywood. Touting its class and sophistication, the neighborhood promoted a European influence, featuring such unique elements as stone retaining walls and stairways, along with elegant Spanish, Mediterranean, French Normandy, and English Tudor–styled homes thoughtfully placed onto the hillsides. The community contains one of the world’s most recognizable landmarks, the Hollywood sign, originally constructed as a giant billboard for the development and reading “Hollywoodland.” The book illustrates the development of the upper section of Beachwood Canyon known as Hollywoodland with historical photographs from Hollywood Heritage’s S. H. Woodruff Collection as well as from other archives, institutions, and individuals.
up to the top of Beachwood Canyon, climbing the 50-foot-high “H” of the Hollywoodland sign, and leaping into the warm night toward the distant lights of the city that had disappointed her. (Left, Jim Dawson; below, James Zeruk Jr.) Peg Entwistle’s tragic suicide was front-page news in all the Los Angeles newspapers on September 18, 1932, two days after her death. According to the papers, she lay in the brush for several hours before being found by a hiker, and then it took the police almost 24
Canyon and sell plots to the public. Along with investors Harry Chandler, publisher of the Los Angeles Times; developer Tracy E. Shoults; and architect S.H. Woodruff, they announced in late March 1923 that their new development, called Hollywoodland, was open for business. Clark and Sherman, early transplants from Arizona, had virtually cornered the Los Angeles trolley and streetcar business by the 1890s. They acquired large parcels of land adjacent to their planned routes for later subdividing
place. Two unidentified Mack Sennett starlets pose with their car at the top of Beachwood Canyon. Community advertising played up the gorgeous views from the Hollywoodland hills in an attempt to lure local visitors as well as tourists. The developers promoted “that it was high above the city with a commanding view in every direction.” Here is a view over part of the western side of Hollywoodland with the unfinished Mulholland Highway visible at the right center. Because Hollywoodland builders
Canyon rather than Hollywoodland. Hollywoodland’s landscape continued to change into the 1960s. There is an empty lot in the lower right of the photograph replacing a gas station, with an expanded store area visible in the lower left. In 1933, architect Richard Neutra designed the Mosk house at 2742 Hollyridge Drive for Ernest and Bertha Mosk. For its laborsaving design, it earned second place in a 1934 contest sponsored by Better Homes in America and Architectural Forum. A few years later, the
April 1, 1923, Los Angeles Times article. They envisioned something similar to European hillside towns, with a concentration of California Spanish-style homes, as evidenced in this drawing. Tracy E. Shoults and S.H. Woodruff advertised for potential clients “to live where California means the most.” Adding a touch of elegance and exclusivity to their hillside development, an architectural committee would approve all exterior and landscaping plans. Only four architectural styles were allowed: