Early Anaheim (CA) (Images of America)
Stephen J. Faessel
As one of the largest cities in one of the nation's most populous counties, Anaheim anchors a host of Orange County attractions, not the least of which are Disneyland, the 2002 World Champion Anaheim Angels, and the Anaheim Convention Center. But Anaheim's early history followed the hardscrabble route, with fitful years of early cityhood steered in part by hardy immigrant German vintners who, with a civic-mindedness, advanced the establishment of the churches, schools, banks, civic services, and a Carnegie Library that made Anaheim thrive. This collection of more than 200 vintage images reveals the foresight of such men as John Frohling, Charles Kohler, George Hansen, John Fischer, August Langenberger, and others who shaped the beginnings of one of California's great cities.
talented group of well-educated, refined gentlemen and ladies. Once relocated to this desert environment, the need to establish cultural arts opportunities gave rise to an opera house, social clubs, lodge halls, meeting rooms, and the requisite churches and schools. Anaheim was taking on a look of permanence as some of the vineyards were subdivided into neighborhoods. A downtown with businesses of all types attracted citizens throughout the county. The region’s first newspaper, the Anaheim
pioneers. Theodore Reiser was an original Los Angeles Vineyard colonist who built the first winery and brandy distillery in Anaheim, located at Olive and Santa Ana Streets. Reiser was a prominent Anaheim civic leader and was elected mayor in 1877 and again in 1890. He was a member of Anaheim’s Masonic Lodge and is dressed in his Knight Templar regalia in this photograph. This 1871 portrait shows Theodore and Clementina Schmidt. Theodore, a native of Bielefeld, Germany immigrated to America in
Broadway and South Palm Streets (now Harbor Boulevard) was a stately two-story home with a covered porch, formal garden, trees, and an orange grove. After Gov. Newton Booth moved to disincorporate the bankrupt City of Anaheim in 1872, Theodore Rimpau, August Langenberger, and Theodore Reiser were appointed as the board of commissioners to settle the economic affairs of the city by selling city property for $338.21 to clear the community’s debts. Fredrick A. Hartmann was the son of Jacob
park (today’s Pearson Park) in 1922. Once the significance of the grape blight settled in on the hardy vintners, a replacement for this important crop became of immediate importance. For some, the land boom of the 1880s permitted them a way to liquidate their landholdings. For others, the opportunity to carry on their agricultural livelihood came with the walnut, chili pepper, sugar beets, and, most importantly, the late-blooming Valencia orange. This turn-of-the-century view shows the
the event was named. Beginning in 1921, the Anaheim Chamber of Commerce, in cooperation with the city, began the California Valencia Orange Show to “spread the fame, beauty and richness of the Valencia Orange.” The 1921 event, held on a vacant lot on North Los Angeles Street, opened May 17 through a long-distance wire from the White House. A 50,000-square-foot tent housed the exhibits, which included units for citrus, automotive, industrial, and amusement. The Orange County population boom of